I’ve always maintained that resolutions are made to be broken, while goals are meant to be attained. For years, and years I’ve kept a short list of goals in five main areas of my life.
Yes. For years before I owned an actual business, I made business goals. I know it’s a bit into the new year already, but I wanted to be sure that I took a moment to share this. It’s been so important to help keep me moving in a positive direction even when I wasn’t working an outside job beyond being a mom to our boys. Sadly, last year was the first year in ages that I didn’t write them down, and even though I felt like I achieved a lot, some of it felt a bit directionless.
These main goals are usually general – things that pertain to overall balance in our lives. I also make a more specific list of things I’m trying to work on in regards to my business and personal goals. It has been so important to keep myself focused and growing over the years. I’m a broken and imperfect person, and keeping that in mind helps keep my feet firmly planted on the ground as I grow and change and become better as a person.
So without getting too personal, I’ll share a little of what I’ve got on tap for the upcoming year:
1. Spiritual: Finish reading through the Bible, start and read it through again. Attend church service regularly. (We had a ton of sickness this past 6 months, from stomach flu to pink eye and a lot of colds, and we didn’t make it as often as we’d like.)
2. Personal: make fitness more consistent throughout the school year. I was super successful through the summer when we had more free time, but when school started, (plus all of the sickies) we couldn’t seem to hit a stride with a routine. I’d love to hear what you do to stay successful with this! Or maybe I’ll share if we can catch lightning in a bottle these next few months…
3. Family: set aside solid family time and date nights. Not negotiable. We had a time this fall when date nights couldn’t happen, and we found out that we need that. We usually stick with Fridays for dates, and Saturdays for family nights. Family nights are usually games, or movies, or other fun interactive activities.
4. Personal: unplug more. Have set work times and try to stick with them. Plan solid time to connect with family. Project life. Push myself to set boundaries for certain relationships that aren’t as healthy as they could be.
I have a whole host of things I’m working on in the personal area, but I don’t want to bore you!
5. Business: utilize positive marketing strategies, introduce bags to the shop, create enriched blog series, grow supportive community for women. Begin offering mentorship sessions for women interested in taking their handmade business to the next level. (and lots more that I’m not sharing… shhh!)
How about you? Where do you feel you’re headed this year? Have you settled on goals that incorporate your dreams? I’d love to hear! Post a link to your blog post or post here in the comments!